If your business is on Twitter you must include Twitter Lists in your Social Media Strategy. This will help you engage with your customers successfully.
You may have heard about Twitter Lists but you are not using them thinking it’s just a waste of time. Let me tell you that once you’re getting used to add people on regularly you will start getting results. Twitter lists will help you connect with the people you want and increase your Twitter effectiveness.
The main role of Twitter Lists is that they help you see what the people that are important to you are tweeting about. You will be able to respond promptly and engage with your customers, journalists and influencers to achieve the results you want.
5 Steps to Create a Twitter List
Twitter Support defines a list as a curated group of Twitter accounts. You can create your own lists or subscribe to lists created by others. Viewing a list timeline will show you a stream of Tweets from only the accounts on that list.
Add yourself to the most popular lists you have created. This will help you increase your Twitter followers and engagement. By listing yourself on your Twitter Lists, you ensure that your tweets get shown to the people who subscribe to the List – which helps you gain exposure.
If you never created a Twitter list before, here is how you can do it via the web:
- Click on your profile icon to show the drop down menu.
- Go on Lists.
- Press Create new list.
- Select a name for your list, and a short description of the list. Then select if you want the list to be private (only accessible to you) or public (anyone can subscribe to the list).
- Click ‘Save list’.
Now that you created a list, you will have to add Twitter users to these lists. This is done via the individual user’s profile page.
- From their profile page, click the gear icon. Select “Add or remove from lists.” You don’t have to follow the user to add them to your list.
- You will see a popup showing all the lists you have created. Tick the list you want that user to be part of. Do this for all the accounts you would like to show up on your lists
Each time you add someone to a public list, they receive a notification so make sure you want them to know they are on that list.
Twitter Lists Ideas
You can create various lists like:
- Group the influencers that follow you (or you want to connect with) in a Twitter list and check their tweets regularly. They will provide valuable content that you can retweet. Check-out the post “50 of the UK’s most Inspirational Female Entrepreneurs” that contains 50 influential women in business, which you can use it to follow them if that’s your industry.
- Current Customers – you may want to keep this list private if you don’t want your competitors to get in contact with them. You can choose another name if you want it public.
- Competitors – again, keep this list private. Use it to see what your competitors are tweeting about and who is engaging with their tweets.
- Networking and Events – this lets you continue building relationships with these contacts after an event is over, making it easy to communicate with them in the future.
- News from your industry. It will be easy for you to filter content once you know who is tweeting about subjects that you are interested in. Some of them may come from your influencers.
- You can also create a list with followers that are doing the same job as you or have a similar business. You can learn from their experience.
- People who Retweeted you – if someone has shared your content once, they are more likely to do it again.
- If you business is global, organise your followers by country like Aussie Twitter Expert Keith Keller is doing.
- If you trade local, add your local followers to a dedicated list.
5 Twitter Lists Tools to Help You Maximize Engagement
There are a few tools that can help you add members to your lists quicker
HootSuite allows you to monitor lists, hashtags, schedule tweet, and many more. For any Twitter account you have connected to HootSuite, you can import the Twitter Lists you have already made or create new ones. It’s very easy to do this in HootSuite. After you create a Twitter list you can add people into your Twitter list from contacts page, from streams, from drag and drop and from user profiles.
Twitlistmanager offers a comprehensive way to manage your Twitter lists. This app fetches the people you follow and any lists you’ve already created. It’s adding everything on a single page. You can create new lists if you want to, and simply check boxes to add or remove people to your lists. When you’re done, click “Save Changes”.
Tweez.it is the quickest way to manage your Twitter lists. A single page web app with all the tools you need to configure your lists. You can create and edit your lists, share your public lists, add and remove members, select members from your friends or search other Twitter users by name. Tweez.it supports public and private lists.
Qweboo is a tool which helps to keep up to date with your interests on Twitter. It helps to manage lists and helps to see tweets which you want to see. You can get rid of the noise on Twitter timeline using this tool.
icotile2 – Unlike most other Twitter apps, icotile is an image-based tool. The people you follow, your followers, and the members of all of your lists are represented by small tiles that show their profile picture.
Want to learn more Social Media Tips? Join my Free Training
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016